Thank you so much Kennedy Fox for taking the time to answer these questions for my Blog.
I am a major fan of your work, as you know, and can’t wait to share with my followers!
1. First off, Congratulations on The Checkmate Duet Series being completed!!!! I was able to read an advanced copy and just LOVE the Beautiful ending that you created with This is Beautiful (book debuts September 19th preorder here) for all the characters in the series. Why did you pick Northern California for the setting of this series? Have either of you lived here or it’s a favorite destination?
Great question! This will probably sound bizarre, but I like using California because it’s what I call a “safe zone”. It’s in a part of the states that doesn’t have a distinct accent or culture. It’s easy to work characters in without having to be too specific on the setting. Basically, if you don’t want to have to add in an accent (Midwestern, southern, Boston, etc.) California is a good way to go! Also, who doesn’t love the idea of visiting sunny CA? We have both been to San Francisco for a signing a couple years ago and visited Fisherman’s Wharf and it’s a great setting!
2. With Drew Fisher & Logan Knight both being in the police field, do either of you have close ties to police officers?
No, not really. I have a family friend who’s a retired cop and helped us during This is Reckless and Effortless. Everything else was Google 🙂 But I mean, who doesn’t love a good-looking man in uniform?!
3. You recently ‘came out’ with your author identities after being a secret writing duo for so long. Is it weird? Would you have preferred to remain unknown?
I thought it would be weird, but it’s not at all! I was bracing for some kind of negative feedback, but it never came (thank goodness). It’s a relief because it’s really hard to separate the two identities when you’re promoting both of them.
4. How has it been saying goodbye to Team Traviola, Team Drewtney, and Team Layla?
It’s very bittersweet. This journey started out with an idea to write together and it evolved into so much more than either of us expected. It’s been amazing and these characters have become apart of our lives for the past year, so it’s weird to see the end.
5. I really like your book characters’ names how do you come up with them?
I wish I had an interesting answer for this one, but I just pick names I really like or random ones without even thinking. Travis and Viola had been picked out for years when the idea hit me way before I even met my writing partner. I love the name Travis for an alpha male and I had always thought Viola was a pretty name. Drew came from my love for The Chainsmokers. Logan and Kayla were just random names that were picked based off their personalities.
6. I’m always curious what Romance Novel Author’s significant others think of their work/job? My husband has a strong opinion about what he thinks I am reading about in my books… **Cough*** book porn ***cough*** haha
I’ve been writing romance for almost five years so my husband is used to the idea. He always so I’m so naughty because I will repeat lines to him that my female characters say to the hero. But he secretly likes it. As far as my family and friends, I feel there is a stigma. First, working from home or being a “freelance writer” doesn’t sound like a legit job. Secondly, writing isn’t a ‘common’ profession, at least to my peers. It’s not well-known like being a doctor, lawyer, teacher, banker. And then when they hear you’re writing romance, or *gasp* sex, people you’ve known your whole life look at you differently LOL Oh well… my husband doesn’t mind at all!
7. I know at least one of you LOVES her Starbucks coffee drinks but specifically what is your coffee/tea drink of choice?
K’s right now is Pumpkin Spice White Mochas. F likes iced coffee or tea.
8. Do you have a certain thing that you do to celebrate your latest book release?
F always goes out for seafood with her husband and K orders food from her favorite Hibachi restaurant. K’s husband always sends flowers. Mostly we relax!
***Thank you again Kennedy Fox for taking the time to share with my followers! And I KNEW Drew was named after Drew from The Chainsmokers!!!!***
NOW Followers —–> go back to My Instagram page and comment what you liked/learned from the Author Spotlight to win a
This is Beautiful!
Brooke Cumberland & Lyra Parish are a duo of romance authors who teamed up under the USA Today Bestselling pseudonym, Kennedy Fox who share a love of You’ve Got Mail and The Holiday. When they aren’t bonding over romantic comedies, they like to brainstorm new book ideas. One day, they decided to collaborate and have some fun creating new characters that’ll make your lady bits tingle and your heart melt. If you enjoy romance stories with sexy, tattooed alpha males and smart, independent women, then a Kennedy Fox book is for you!
Instagram: instagram.com/kennedyfoxbooks | @kennedyfoxbooks
Twitter: twitter.com/kennedyfoxbooks | @kennedyfoxbooks
Reader Group: Facebook.com/groups/kennedyfoxbooks